Monday, October 13, 2008

Thabo Mbeki's Resignation



One of the biggest and most dramatic events of the year in South African history was the resignation of President Thabo Mbeki. This coming from allegations that he had usd the country's law enforcement system to undermine Jacob Zuma's chances of succeeding him. The issue I am addressing is the manner in which this resignation was enforced. Thabo Mbeki was a man deeply involved in the struggle against Apartheid government who then became our second democratic president. I am particularly upset that our country's cabinet is being used to initiate personal vendetta's. I fully understand the reasoning behind the ANC initiating Mbeki's resignation, however it makes me upset that our politicians use this medium for personal attacks at the highest level of authority of the country. What also "gets my goat" is the total disrespect by a particular ANC member towards Mbeki. Mbeki, the same man who helped pave the way for this manoic member to have a voice in politics is now being sidelined and treated like an "enemy". I fully understand the nature of humans and revenge but I also understand what it means to be a country's leader. The conduct surrounding this event was totally undignified and totally inconsistent with what I feel it means to be a leader.

No comments: